Monday, May 17, 2010

Precious

I watched the movie 'Precious' late last night with a friend. For those of you who don't know, it's the story about a girl growing up in Harlem whose mother hates her and abuses her and whose father rapes her and gives her two children. Precious can't feel what love is, she has never felt like she can do anything, be anything, change anything. There is only a small light of hope in the story, and that is the love that she comes to know by her teacher, and Precious' change of heart that comes from that love. I know that stories like hers are happening right now all over the world, many without a loving encounter like the one Precious experiences. It humbled me to the point of realizing that I do not know anything. It made me want to stop opening my mouth and just love people, listen to people, know their stories, walk with them. I know Jesus knows where these people have been, but also that he has no body on earth now but ours. Love is strong, but I need so much help in knowing how to give it.

No comments: