Friday, June 25, 2010

En Honduras!

This may be one of only a few times I can fill you all in on life here, so here goes!

I just got to Honduras at about 1 this afternoon--I had a personal record of 4 flight schedule changes yesterday and ended up staying in a hotel in Miami. God put sooo many awesome people in my path, though, because of it. I met 2 Honduran women returning from the states for their mother's funeral. The one was just so encouraging, talking about how she refuses to worry because God always has us in his hands. I also met and spent a lot of time with a Guatemalan, Mauricio, his son, Tito, another named Caspar and a Honduran named Nesto. We experienced the airport chaos together, ate dinner together and just shared life! My waiter this morning encouraged me so much by his kind words about the difference people make with light in their eyes and love to spread around. He was so cool! That was Ruben.

Getting stuck in Miami gave me another night to be quiet and rest and prepare for this journey. I am really grateful for that. Plus they put me on first class for the first time in my life, which was so weird! Flaming hot dish towels to wipe my hands?

So after that weirdness, friends of CAM International Julie and Tim picked me up at the airport in San Pedro Sula. Honduran style, we did 4 hours of errands before coming here to Siguatepeque, but I enjoyed every second of it, even the driving!...Although a semi in front of us hit a dog and nearly caused a huge accident. They are so crazy here on the road--all the signs are optional, honking is necessary all the time, the lines on the road are apparently invisible to residents, and almost dying seems to be a favorite pastime.

We arrived in Siguatepeque just as the rest of the group started to eat after a day of waterfall jumping! All of the one month summer interns for Honduras are here--I'd say about 15 of us. Only 4 of us head to Támara on Saturday, but it is so great to be with everyone else, too. We talked a lot about ourselves. I loved hearing it said that hearts are just burning for missions. That we don't know why, but for some reason God made us to feel more alive when we are living as missionaries, empowering others to change their towns, countries, the world. We can't ignore this fire.

Mark and Michelle, a couple of the missionaries here, have been here 8 years and have three precious little kids. Mark told us, 'The mission field is one that is always changing, because God moves people and does crazy things.' Michelle said, 'Every day is totally different and you never know what is going to happen. But we really would not have it any other way. We love it here, we love what we do.'

So we are all just chillin' here for a few days, playing games--tomorrow working on bamboo and a little on a coffee shop and buying cell phones.

Apparently, the orphanage where we'll be is run by a woman named Rhonda Wilkinson, with the help of some Hondurans. There are 38 orphans! Mark told us that he is super excited for Carmen, Kendra and I to be there to encourage Rhonda and help teach and love on the kids. We are soo excited too!!!

Keep praying! Love you guys!

'In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.'
Proverbs 16:9

No comments: