Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Café

Eyes open.

My friend came to the café today where I still sit with my leftover pieces of muffin, jazz-electronic music playing through the abstract artwork and her words still echoing in my head. Bad news--sad news--the saddest of news. But she is so calm, and her mind is so clear. How can that be so? All cried out--yeah. Has to stay positive--maybe. But there is something deeper moving in her soul that I know is the peace of Christ that rules in our hearts when we are incapable of doing anything by our own power. The peace of Christ who only has room to move and breathe when we see the hugeness of existence and the triviality of the things we were clinging to before.

We don't need to understand. In fact, we can't understand much of the time. But we can trust. And he holds us. "Aly, this is the first time that I've felt like this," she told me. "Like I don't care about the things that don't matter, and like I am more at peace right now than I have ever been in my best moments."

No comments: