Sunday, July 22, 2012

Love is so good.

"The Holy Spirit comforts us by communicating to us and acquainting us with the love of the Father.  Christ assured the disciples of this.  He said, 'The Father himself loves you' (John 16:27).  He comforts us by persuading us of the eternal and unchangeable love of the Father.  Such a soul may say, 'The world hates me, but my Father loves me.  Men despise me as a hypocrite, but my Father loves me as a child.  I am poor in this world, but I have a rich inheritance in the love of my Father.  I mourn in secret under the power of my lusts and sins where no eyes see me, but the Father sees me and he is full of compassion  With this sense of his love, which is better than life, I rejoice in tribulation, glory in affliction and triumph as a conqueror.  Though I am killed all day long, yet all my sorrows have a depth that can be fathomed and my trials have bounds which can be reached.  But the breadth, depth and height of the love of the Father, who can measure that?"  -John Owen, Communion With God (200)


No comments: